Kimchi is not only easy to make, but also full of gut-beneficial bacteria. This Raw vegan Korean Kimchi recipe is free of any added sugar and also suitable for all plant-based and general healthy diets.
Variations of kimchi emphasize radishes, scallions, or cucumbers, and seasoning options include ginger, cocoa, and coffee. You can vary the spiciness of the dish to suit your own taste!
INGREDIENTS for RAW KOREAN KIMCHI
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 fresh hot red peppers
- 2 dried hot red peppers
- 2 tablespoons ginger root
- 1 tablespoon unpasteurised miso
- 4 heads green cabbage
- 1 carrot, chopped/grated
- 1/2 daikon radish
- 2 tablespoons salt
- fresh black pepper
- Prepare the kimchi sauce using a food processor, blender, or heavy-duty juicer. Blend the garlic, onion, hot peppers, ginger, and miso into a sauce.
- Grate, shred, or chop the cabbage, carrot and daikon radish. Mix in the salt and pepper and squeeze or pound the cabbage to create the brine.
- Mix the cabbage and daikon with the kimchi sauce.
- Pack the kimchi into a 1 gallon glass jar or crock. Make sure there are no gaps or air pockets.
- Place a weight over the kimchi to keep it covered in the brine. Place lid over the opening that will allow the pressure to be released.
- Let the kimchi sit at room temperature. It will be ready to eat in 5 to 6 days. Place in smaller canning jars and store in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy your Raw Korean Kimchi!